How Do I Evaluate a Window and Door Contractor?
Since a knowledgeable contractor will be able to guide you through all the planning stages of the project, finding a capable contractor should be your first order of business. It will save you both time and money. Word of mouth is also a good way to unearth an outstanding company. Ask friends and any contractors you may know whom they would recommend for window replacement.
Once you’ve narrowed down your search, make sure that the company carries both liability and workers’ compensation insurance. You don’t want to end up with a lawsuit because the company you’re dealing with does not have proper insurance.
Since there are as many different types of installation as there are types of homes, the important thing is to make sure the company you choose to install your windows gives you detailed information on how your windows will be installed.
Here are some questions that will help you evaluate your contractor:
- Does the company specialize in windows?
- How long have they been in business?
- What is their record of repeat and referral business?
- What is their specific experience with window installations?
- Are their installers certified?
- Will their employees be doing the installation or do they use a subcontractor?
- Is everyone who will be on my property covered by Workman’s Compensation insurance?
- What type of warranty do they offer on installation?
- If there is a service issue, who will come back to your home to take care of it, the window manufacturer, the installer, or someone else?
- Do they have their own service department?
- Do they have any recent projects you can look at?